To celebrate the release of Fallen Feathers, get 15% off with code WALKINTHEWOODS now, through October 25, 2020
PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase this pattern you will receive a digital download at checkout.
In the fall my son and I love to go for walks in the woods, searching for all sorts of treasures. Fallen feathers are among the most precious of our finds: they become keepsakes and are reminiscent of our time together. We often find Wild Turkey feathers which are common in our area. These Wild Turkey feathers are the inspiration behind this design. Their high contrasting, barred stripes have always caught my eye. The graphic line of these feathers easily translate to colorwork knitting. Knit in Myak Tibetan Cloud, this 100% Tibetan Wool is a natural beauty, creating a lightweight yet very warm hat. The pattern is written for three sizes with options for a slouchy or beanie fit. Now we each have very special hats to be worn on our very special walks!
• Small (Medium, Large)
• Options for beanie or slouchy fit.
• Approx 18.5 (20, 21.5)“ / 47 (51, 54.5) cm circumference at widest part of hat (unstretched)
• Slouchy Option: Approx 10.5” / 26.5 cm tall
• Beanie Option: Approx 8.5” / 21.5 cm tall
Slouchy sample is size medium and featured in…
mYak Tibetan Cloud (100% Tibetan Wool; 328 yards / 300 m per 100 g) Wild Daisy (C1) and Cladonia (C2);1 skein each color.
Pom pom is Lovafur in color Fox Cream
Beanie sample is size medium and featured in…
mYak Tibetan Cloud (100% Tibetan Wool; 328 yards / 300 m per 100 g) Cladonia (C1) and Wild Daisy (C2);1 skein each color.
Or… Sport/ Light DK yarn in the following yardages…
• C1/C2: Approx 80 (86, 92) yds / 72 (78, 84) m
• C1/C2: Approx 64 (70, 75) yds / 59 (63, 68) m
GAUGE: 24 sts and 28 rnds = 4” / 10 cm in chart and
Stockinette stitch, blocked
Needles listed are suggested. Always take time to swatch.
• Gauge Needle: Size US 5 (3.75 mm) 16”circular needle and DPNs—or size necessary to obtain gauge
• Small Needle: Size US 2 (2.75 mm) 16” circular needle—three sizes smaller than Gauge Needle
• Optional Needle: One size smaller than Gauge Needle; 16”circular needle and DPNs (See Notes)
GAUGE: 24 sts and 28 rnds = 4" / 10 cm in chart and Stockinette stitch, blocked
Stitch marker, tapestry needle, and pom (optional)
• Hat is worked from the bottom up.
• When decreasing for crown, switch to DPNs when necessary
for ease of knitting.
• Stranded colorwork knitting often tightens ones gauge;
therefore consider going down a needle size after working the chart. Should you choose this method, you will need DPNs in one size smaller than gauge needle to shape crown. Samples shown used this technique.